As part of the health care team, the Nursing Assistant performs basic clerical and technical clinical services relating to the care, cleanliness, safety, and comfort for patients of all ages. The Nursing Assistant also provides quality service through a team oriented, collaborative approach to patient care. The Nursing Assistant is also expected to support Carilion's hallmarks of service excellence and quality for all job responsibilities.
Job duties include, but are not limited to:
- Provides basic nursing care and performs advanced technical skills for specified age groups according to established standards. Assists patients with activities of daily living. Transports patients, supplies, specimens, equipment, etc. within the facility. Appropriately documents and reports patient observations to licensed staff.
- Exhibits competent knowledge of EMR and assists with chart audits.
- Provides support for department/unit staff scheduling, including lunch assignments.
- Reviews medical record for outstanding orders and notifies nurse of stat orders and medication changes.
- Orders department/unit supplies and equipment and stocks/organizes supplies.
- Processes equipment between patients as needed (cleans unit based equipment and gathers supplies needed to operate equipment). Operates and maintains general office equipment.
- Manages admissions, transfers, and discharges. Coordinates patient flow into/out of area using department/unit specific software and Intranet. Schedules patient therapeutic and diagnostic procedures
- Welcomes and assists patients and visitors and assists with registration. Serves as "face" of the unit, adheres to dress code and exhibits service excellence behaviors at all times.
- Demonstrates excellent telephone etiquette and interpersonal skills when answering phones and interacting with patients, visitors, physicians, and other health professionals.
- Receives and screens incoming calls via telephone and patient call system. Routes calls to appropriate individuals and takes messages accurately
- Monitors cleanliness of the waiting and break rooms, and performs safety/environmental rounds.
- Assists with maintaining regulatory compliance. (refrigerator, glucose meters, equipment room storage, assisting with code cart checks as assigned etc)
May be required to support multiple nursing units. Interacts with unit staff, patients, physicians, families, visitors, management, ancillary departments, and the general public. Maintains patient, staff and customer confidentiality. If assigned to perform patient care tasks, must demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development through the life span, possess the ability to recognize and report data reflective of the patient's status, interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patient's requirements relative to his or her age and specific needs, and provide the care needed as described in departmental policies and procedures. May be required to sit with patients on suicide precautions. Work is performed in patient care environment and is often fast-paced, requiring use of prioritization skills. May be exposed to infectious diseases, biohazardous and hazardous materials, including regulated medical wastes, and combative patients. Prolonged periods of sitting, visualizing computer screen and using keyboard. May be required to work at multiple Carilion facilities.
Minimum Qualifications Required
Education: High school diploma or equivalent education required.
Experience: Previous experience in direct patient care preferred.
Licensure, certification, and/or registration: Certified Nursing Assistant preferred. Must successfully complete Basic Life Support Course within 6 months of hire.
Other Minimum Qualifications: Effective interpersonal, communication, and teamwork skills required. Must successfully complete orientation and competency validation for position.
Inspiring Better Health at Carilion Clinic
Every day at Carilion Clinic, our employees come together to inspire better health in our patients, their families and our communities. Explore how you can be a part of this diverse, innovative and interdisciplinary patient-centered team, and find out how you can make a difference in the lives of others.
As an employee, you can take advantage of our competitive pay, various scheduling options, continuing education opportunities and excellent benefits.
Based in Roanoke, Va., Carilion Clinic includes multi-specialty physician practices, seven not-for-profit hospitals and the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine and Research Institute in partnership with Virginia Tech.
Service Excellence and Quality are hallmarks of Carilion Clinic. As a team member, you will be expected to consistently deliver the best in care and customer service. As an employee, you will demonstrate respect, dignity, kindness and empathy in each encounter with our patients, families, visitors and with each other.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Carilion is a Drug-Free Workplace
Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.
Shift: Day shift