Who is Georgia-Pacific?Watch to find out!
Occupational Safety and Health Specialist
Position reports directly to the Safety Leader at the Monticello operation. Georgia Pacific’s paper mill in Monticello, MS has been in operation since 1968, and employs 450 employees. The Monticello mill has the capability to produce over 1,000,000 tons of containerboard each year. To learn more about Georgia-Pacific’s packaging business please visit: www.gppackaging.com and view How Paper Is Made!
In this role, the Safety & Health Specialist will build capability within the facility through the application of the MBM® framework and Guiding Principles. Provide guidance, using strong verbal and written communication skills as a subject matter expert on occupational safety and health standards, risk assessment methodologies and safety management systems. Assist the facility leadership with the design and implementation of a safety and health management system with an emphasis on compliance, critical hazards, and risk reduction. Assist the leadership team by identifying methods to shift the culture towards a shared value for safety and interdependent work teams.
A Day In The Life Typically Includes:
* Provide leadership and direction to achieve the safety & health vision through management commitment and employee ownership.
* Facilitate the organization’s safety & health ownership through integration of the safety & health management system.
* Assist with the development and utilization of risk assessment methods/systems for anticipating, identifying and evaluating hazards.
* Assist employees in aligning to a vision of lower risk tolerance / preference.
* Assist facility leadership with the development of short and long-term safety & health objectives, targets, strategies, and measures that identify critical hazards, prioritize, and mitigate risks.
* Assist with the evaluation, interpretation, and compliance with safety and health laws, regulations and permits as it relates to the operation of the facility.
* Provide a good foundation and solid understanding of Georgia-Pacific safety and health standards and all OSHA and Federal and State regulations.
* Manage the mill industrial hygiene programs. These elements include HazCom, respiratory protection, asbestos, radiation and industrial hygiene monitoring.
* Facilitate the development, improvement, and implementation of safety training systems and effectively train mill population.
* Participate with facility leaders during agency inspections.
* Supports the process safety and chemical process safety programs
What You Will Need:
* Bachelor’s degree in Safety & Health, Industrial Hygiene, or other safety, technical, or engineering field
* Post-graduate Georgia-Pacific Entry Level Professional OR at least 3 years of safety & health experience in an industrial and/or heavy manufacturing industry
* Experience using Microsoft Office programs such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint
What Will Put You Ahead?
* Experience and knowledge in PSM covered processes
* ASP, GSP, CSP, CIH or equivalent certification
* Experience in heavy manufacturing and/or chemical processes
* Experience in evaluating and managing injuries and illnesses
Want to learn more about Georgia-Pacific?
Salary and benefits commensurate with experience.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran
Except where prohibited by state law, all offers of employment are conditioned upon successfully passing a drug test.
This employer uses E-Verify. Please visit the following website for additional information: www.kochcareers.com/doc/Everify.pdf
Follow us GP-LinkedIn GP-Twitter GP-Facebook GP-YouTube