Northern Illinois University is accepting applications for the position of Assistant Coach for Women’s Basketball. This is a full-time, 12 month position with benefits. This position will assist the head coach in coaching student-athletes, implementation and instruction of game strategy, recruiting prospective student-athletes, monitoring student-athlete academic progress, program organization, managing travel, managing student-athlete scholarships and overseeing the discipline, conduct and image of the sport program and student-athletes of a major university sport program in conjunction with other departmental responsibilities as assigned. This is a professional coaching position and all of the duties of the position must be conducted in adhering with the policies, rules and regulations of affiliated national, regional and state intercollegiate athletic associations, the Mid-American conference (or subsequent member conference) and the university.
The mission of NIU Athletics is to enhance the University, community and region through service and engagement while developing champions in the classroom, in competition and in life. With long standing traditions and core values centered on family, NIU Athletics is home to 17 NCAADivision I sport programs. Northern Illinois University, chartered in 1895, is a comprehensive teaching and research institution with over 19,000 currently enrolled students and houses seven (7) degree-granting colleges—Business, Education, Engineering and Engineering Technology, Health and Human Sciences, Law, Liberal Arts and Sciences, and Visual and Performing Arts. Centrally located in DeKalb, Northern Illinois University is 30 miles west of Aurora, 65 miles west of Chicago, 36 miles west of Naperville, and 45 miles southeast of Rockford.
• Coach student-athletes individually and in groups, and demonstrate game techniques; position may manage a designated skill development area or group of positions, as assigned. Plan coaching and practice sessions in accordance with NCAA and conference regulations. Develop, recommend and teach game strategy and position assignments. Develop, recommend and teach game strategy and position assignments.
• Provide an overall positive educational environment for student-athletes conducive to learning, athletic development, social growth, and preparing them for life beyond college. In conjunction with the Student Athlete Academic Support Services (SAASS) department monitor academic progress and academic status of student-athletes, implementing corrective action plans through appropriate staff, if needed.
• Monitor and maintain the discipline and conduct of student-athletes to support the image and reputation of the department and university. Responsible for the development, safety and conduct of the student-athletes within specific sport program.
• Assist in the administration of the entire sport program, as assigned; including, but not limited to daily practices, game planning and implementation, recruiting, equipment management and facilities scheduling.
• Promote the university, athletic department and specific sport through community events, public speaking, fundraising and marketing. When practical under the circumstances, intercollegiate athletic staff are encouraged to voluntarily attend all athletic events to promote audience participation and support for NIU team efforts.
• Cash handling responsibilities – $5,000 – $10,000 annually. • Assist with departmental needs as requested.
• Have a thorough knowledge of NCAA, conference, and institutional policies and conduct program within those regulations.
• As a staff member within the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics, responsible for knowledge of and compliance with National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA) regulations, both those general in nature and those which apply directly to your position’s responsibilities. Strict adherence to all applicable governing policies, procedures, and regulations of the NCAA is required and is a condition of employment.
Minimum Required Qualifications:
Ability to demonstrate basketball skills, game and training strategies, plus teaching progressions.
Ability to communicate with and relate well to female student-athletes.
Ability to recruit and retain quality student-athletes, particularly at the regional level (Midwest).
Ability to effectively communicate through oral, written and electronic forms.
Four academic years coaching experience in women’s basketball at the collegiate level.
Additional Salary Information: Commensurate with experience and education.